Wednesday 24 November 2010

Silver Lining People

HELLO!
A legitimate greeting and never-overused part of conversation.

So I feel I should address the elephant in the room *Refrains from writing 'turns to elephant and says 'hello' *

I know. I apologise profusely for my extreme lameness, but it seemed funny when I thought of it... *hangs head*

Well.. I guess it's not an elephant to anyone but me, but still: So the taking part in November's National Novel Writing Month failed, since I failed to even initiate an attempt to write a novel. This was not due to laziness, more...lack of any ideas for a novel whatsoever, and also, a lack of time in which to live my life, due to some stupid uni course I'm doing ¬_¬ Pfft.

So yeah, now that that awkward explanation is out of the way...

Most significant event in my last fortnight: 4 DAY WEEKEND AT HOME! HELL YES.
Most significant addition to event: WOLVES CREW HIJACKING OUR HOUSEHOLD FOR EID.

Yes! So the 4 day weekend was spent eating, eating, eating, eating and eating. And the quickest Eid-clothes shopping trip ever was had with my mum: we drove to Bradford, walked into a shop, saw a dress, agreed it was nice, paid for it and walked back out. THAT is how Bradford shopping trips should go. In fairness, my mum and I spent an extra half hour on the way back being lost and ending up near Huddersfield before we finally gave up and used the Sat Nav, but that doesn't matter. All the fun's in the journey anyway..

Monday was night-before-Eid frenzy: I started out baking willingly, because I thought I should at least try to have some enthusiasm. So I told my mum I'd try it, which was a pleasant surprise for her as she is aware of the hate-hate affair that is me and baking, and let her go to pick the brother up whilst I made a start. And it started well! I made some awesome chocolate buns, decorated them to perfection... and then had a sudden stress meltdown when my chocolate brownie mixture overflowed and coated the inside of the oven. This was the end of all forced-enthusiasm. My mum walked back in half an hour later:

Humaira
: THIS IS IT. THIS IS THE END.
Mum: Erm... what?
H: I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF BAKING. I DO NOT WANT TO BAKE NOW OR EVER AGAIN.
M: But you said-
H: I WAS LYING TO MYSELF
I dramatically threw down my oven gloves as my mum looked around in a puzzled way, having noticed the newly chocolate-coated kitchen. I announced (again, for dramatic effect) that this was the end, and flounced (awesome word) out of the kitchen.

I think I have a mood swing problem :/

The day was not a total disaster due to the arrival of the wolves crew in the evening, which consisted of:
  • Hasan giving my knees a thoroughly good hug and telling them he had missed them.
  • Baby Bear...just...being adorable in various ways (in pyjamas *melts*)
  • Me refusing to put mehndi on anyone because I was waaaay too sleepy and just pfft.
Eid day then!
  • I finally resolved to carry the black and silver handbag which my aunty got me about 5 years ago- I've never in my life carried a handbag (more a satchel person..ahem), but since it's a gift and it's pretty, I had intended to carry it on at least one special occasion. The two occasions in the past where I've decided to use it were somehow jinxed, and for some reason or other I was foiled both times. So this, I thought, was the day. My clothes were black and silver, it matched, nothing could stop me!
... Except, it seems, my complete lack of knowledge of how to be a girl. Yes. I am unaware of how to carry a handbag (it's one with a short strap), so I felt (and looked) like a complete plank. Therefore I carried it for the minute it took me to leave the house and get in the car to go to my grandmas, and the bag spent the rest of Eid lying in a corner. Yes. So that was a fail... or a win. Well...being a girl fail, but dignity win. I never want to even attempt to carry one again. Just eww. Satchels all the way!

  • Every single Eid we say we want to go to White Rose (just for something to do), and every single Eid, talking about it is as far as we get. But this Eid, Aunty Em was here, and she said NOT THIS TIME. And so she pulled some strings (or rather, shouted at everyone to get out of their food-comas and get ready), and within an hour, nine of us girls were on the road, thoroughly overdressed and still in semi comas! The walk around White Rose lasted 45 minutes, most of which was spent in Dorothy Perkins (new favourite store EVER), in which time I acquired an AWESOME new scarf. Yay!
  • The drive back consisted of me repeatedly saying 'I'm going to miss my train', and my mum speeding. We screeched to a halt outside my house, I ran upstairs, changed my clothes and packed in seven minutes flat, then ran back down so we could rocket-ship over to my grandmas. I speed-hugged everyone in my family in under a minute, and then me, the parents and the brothers hopped into the car. It's the first time I've had a full family send-off from the station, or at all actually, and I've got to say it was an awesome end to an awesome day :D
So I've been back and working and working and working and working- *snaps out of loop* since last Tuesday. In other news:
  • Crosswords are awesome, and not lame in the slightest! (But only when your brain is not failing to remember that English is your first language and therefore you should probably know some of it).
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Or Harry Potter and the Death as it came up on the cinema timetable screen) is actually a decent film! I mean, I know they get better each time, but that hasn't stopped them from being shit films. Finally, however, they have made one that isn't exactly great, but has at least passed the acceptable mark! And it only took them 7 attempts ¬_¬ Gits.
  • Some people are getting snow and this is totally not fair ¬_¬
  • I am a silver lining person. Yep.
  • I started having salad! Alongside other food, mind, I'm not being a complete herbivore. But I have taken a great liking to lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and sliced avocado.
And that is all I have to say!
This is awesome, and dedicated to Aunty Em, for the nostalgia :D
*WAAAAVES*
:)

6 comments:

  1. Ah, the frenzy that comes with Eid =D
    Are you a can-put-mehndi-on-others-well person? Put some on me! Ahem =P I'm being silly - do it closer to the time of next Eid!
    Crosswords are indeed awesome! Well, the quick crosswords...lol.
    Getting snow is not cool! Try walking back and forth to uni three times in one day in blizzard conditions! ...Exactly!

    Silver lining people! Glad we're the only ones in the world =P
    *Cue Relient K* - before that, ANGEL!
    *Thumbs-up*
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is much fun. Make sure you have a snowball fight with housemates and build a snowman, otherwise you haven't lived. Oh and I'm glad I forced the White rose trip, I've become a 'live for the moment' kinda person, although White rose?!! I need to get out more. Please post pics of awesome snow scenes with ur new cam phone. Ta. Oh and ello emad, hope your ok. Blizzards are gonna get worse so a tip, head to starbucks for a hot wintery flavour drink. One more thing, who switched on your Xmas lights?
    Let's c who got the shittest celebrity. Sori humaira. Again! Kinda hogging your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about NaNoWriMo, mine was an epic fail as well. I wrote on the first day and that was it! There will be a time in the future when we'll have the time to do something like that!
    Glad your Eid went well :)
    Crosswords are amazing!!! The big one in the back of the Times on a Saturday...sigh...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aunty Em (because this is our forum Hummus! =P) - Hello! Firstly, well done on the White Rose trip. Always delightful! And the weather here in Newcastle is just...unspeakable. So horrible and cold. And it's still just pure white everywhere! With slush and horrendously deep puddles in some areas!
    And I did see a few weeks ago who put the Christmas lights on but it was such a non-person I decided to discard it from my RAM and not store it (and yes Humaira, I went there).
    Hope the weather isn't too bad in the Midlands?? >_<
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emad: I can put it on people, but can't be bothered/am too slow/get nervous about ruining their hands. And...yes, well done on emasculating requests :) And my blog is not a forum, dammit! I cannot believe you went there. I just cannot.

    Aunty Em- I'd have a snowball fight/build a snowman/take awesome photos if it properly blizzarded, but all we've had so far is enough snow to ice over everything, and no more :( Dammit! Starbucks shall definitely be tried though, just to set a true wintery atmosphere. :D

    It'sComplicated- Here's to future novels, when we have our lives back! And damn right crosswords are fun- Im liking the sound of that, though the Times is nowhere near as cool as the Guardian- you're a student! The Guardian is what you buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey humaira, you making this a forum? Thats a brilliant idea, im in. Hows the snow coming along? Have you had any? Weve been completely covered in wolves and we've even had wait for it sparkly snow under a midnight blue sky (its ice really) but it looked so damn pretty!
    Hello Emad. Too right this is our forum. I dont think Humaira is too happy about the lack of snow in the East Midlands, so we should stop rubbing it in by talking about the snow we have all had and she hasnt!!! But in answer to your question, we have had it pretty bad in wolves. No more about the snow. Sheeez..
    Xmas lights then? We had a guy called Christopher Biggins, camp fat dame type man oh and we had Peppa Pig, oh come on!

    ReplyDelete